Monday, September 27, 2010

Crush and gratitude

Yesterday, we crushed a ton of Sauvignon Blanc grapes and a ton and a half of Merlot grapes. This volume was made possible by a raft of friends helping out and by the Big Dog, which is what I'm calling our new destemmer-crusher.

Doesn't it look sleek? Wait until we turn it on!



The garden statue yard next door...

Many hands sorting Sauvignon Blanc grapes...

Pressing the Sauvignon Blanc...

See how it runs...

Merlot coming through...

Most of wine-making is cleaning. A lot of cleaning. And I'm really grateful for the help with that!
I'm grateful for all the help with crush. I'm grateful we have the opportunity to do this. I'm grateful that it didn't rain much. I'm really grateful for the Big Dog, which made the day run much more smoothly (and we got home before dark).
I'm grateful for the sunny day we had on Saturday, and a poem acceptance.
Back a bit, I'm grateful for the Day of Caring on Friday, and the people at Hope for Horses who rescue abused and neglected horses. I'm grateful for Josie, the one-eyed horse who, after everything she's been through, likes to have her belly scratched.
I'm grateful for a moment of quiet so I can share all this with you. Open the door. Open my heart.

2 comments:

Michael A. Wells said...

Joannie- I always love your blog posts about wine making. Admittedly I'm a Chardonnay person, but I'm fascinated by wine making.

Thanks for feeding my curiosity and fascination with wine making.

Joannie Stangeland said...

Michael, I'm glad you enjoy the pictures. Chardonnay is likely what we'll crush and press next. In the meantime, last year's Chardonnay is now in the bottle--labels and everything.