Thursday, March 17, 2011

Morning questions

It's 6:45 on the East Coast. Often, in the morning, I finish my journaling, move my thouhts ahead three hours and back a few thousand miles, and I wonder, "What are the East Coast editors doing?"

Are they getting another cup of coffee? Are they sifting through poems? Are they grading papers, teaching classes, going to meetings? Are they, like me, holding down a day job and looking at submissions on the weekends? Are my poems still in one stack or another?

Will I hear from them today?

Then I remember to "be careful what you wish for"--but I know what I'm wishing for, among other things.

And if I sent poems to Hawaii, those editors would probably still be asleep.

One of those other wishes: A good Thursday for the world.

2 comments:

Miz Liz said...

Although prose is my preferred mode of weaving words, your poetry draws me in as much as your prose on your blog. Love it!I found you at Microsoft in the instructional video on formatting manuscripts. Great! But, *beg-beg* is there a way to get the text for us older and slower learners?
I've passed your blogs on to my poet writing friends where it is a sunny, spring day in Texas!

Joannie Stangeland said...

I'm glad the video is helpful. Honestly, it started out as an article, and it seemed so long that a video felt more direct. But I can go back and try to do the text.

And thank you for your kind words about my poems.