Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wrapped up or hanging?

Where have I been?

Apologies for the long absence. Work has been a study in stress (although I might get one or two more poems out of it), and last week was Reading Deprivation week in the Artist's Way. (Okay, reading deprivation three and a half days, which is how long I was able to last.)

Reading deprivation doesn't mean writing deprivation, but somehow it worked out that way. Time to get my game on again.

When I did start reading, I read a lot of poems. And I noticed that many of them try to create closure. Back when I started this blog, I talked about coming full circle, admitting I had a weakness for that. I wanted to wrap up the poem, maybe with a cymbal clash.

Then I think of all that advice to lop off the last few lines.

Do you prefer to bring the poem home, or do you like to leave the reader hanging?

No comments: