Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A new look and a new outlook

I've given my blog a little remodeling, like a coat of new paint.



Now, I'm trying to match those colors on my website, and maybe recode parts of it. That part of the project will take longer. (How can the same HTML color code show up differently on two different sites?)



Over the weekend, I went to the Finding Your Readers in the 21st Century conference at Richard Hugo House. The conference focused on getting your work published and then getting it into the hands of readers. (Okay, I'll say it: Marketing.)



I figured that if my goal was to get my manuscript published and into the hands of readers, I should show up and learn as much as possible.



During the sessions, I learned more about Espresso Book Machine and also about Publication Studio. These look like viable, and very different, self-publishing options, and I'm considering both of them (basically becoming my own gatekeeper).



I also heard some good strategies for researching presses without going the contest $25 check contest $25 check contest $25 check route.

Alice Acheson gave some dynamic hands-on sessions on pitching and promoting, and Wendy Call provided fantastic insights on writing query letters. And Kelli Russell Agodon provided some really helpful information on writing grants.

Much of the conference was geared toward the prose publishing landscape, but I think that knowing how to talk about a project, write a good letter, and promote a project will help with poetry, too.

Now, it's time to put some of that good information to use. And write!

No comments: