Friday, February 25, 2011

O, wealth


No one makes furniture for the money.

You make furniture because you love to make things, you love the materials, and you want a great place to sit.

No one makes wine for the money.


You make wine because you love to make things well and you enjoy drinking wine.

No one makes poems for the money.

I write poems because I love the music, and I'm not a musician. I love the images and the light in the images and the many shades blending, and I'm not a painter. I love a story, and I'm not a novelist. I love creating a new world, an egg with a creature inside it, and I'm not a god nor a chicken.

I am waiting for the mail. My ship is in the Hebrides, tides writing their own charts.

I am also ga-ga over Martha Silano's new book, The Little Office of the Immaculate Conception.

3 comments:

Kristin Berkey-Abbott said...

Great comparisons.

And how wonderful to be rich in words. Word wealth!

sixtothe20 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sixtothe20 said...

Joannie, this post spoke to me so deeply! Thank you for your words. I don't comment on your blog often, but I read it regularly. Thank you again.