Sunday, April 15, 2007

No news is no news

I complain plenty about the near-constant stream of rejections, and I also know that it comes with the territory. But even more disheartening than the anonymous printed "no" is not hearing anything at all.

I heard about one writer who sends follow-up letters and then quickly gets an acceptance from the magazine. Now back to our regularly scheduled reality.

How long do you wait? Some poets have told me that if they haven't heard anything in six months, they move on. I usually give it a year, and then I flounder around wondering whether I should bother with a follow-up letter.

Then there is always the question: Did that publication even receive my submission? Was it lost in the mail or in the e-mail pipe? Should I try sending it again? Or should I give up on that publication? Should I give up?

Some publications that now accept online submission also send an automated response to let you know that your submission was received (before sending the anonymous electronic "no"). At least it eliminates the question.

That's my rant for today. Thanks for listening. I'd love to hear how long you wait for a response, and what you do when you hear nothing back.


And it's spring, and life is good.

No comments: