Thursday, November 15, 2007

Happy Reviser?

Kathleen Flenniken asked this question at one of her LitFuse sessions. At the time, I said, "Yes."

I'm having second thoughts.

As an editor, I like tightening text and playing with words. It's the line-editing aspect. I'm not so good at being a developmental editor, recasting and rethinking and shifting around and trying things from a totally new perspective. I chalk it up to laziness.

In my current project, I realized that the minute I started editing, I stopped writing. I no longer created new work. I didn't have ideas for new work. I didn't receive that rush and pull to put something down. Euphoria gone.

I needed to start the revisions so that I would have samples to send in with a proposal (the deadline is Friday), but now I'm trying to figure out how to flip the switch again and get back into writing mode.

How about you? Are you a happy reviser?

3 comments:

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

i love to revise. Though sometimes I over-revise and have to return to an earlier draft.

I have been known to suck the lifeblood out of a poem! Vampire poet reviser, I guess.

Jeannine said...

Hey Joannie! Just added you to my blog roll :) Welcome!

Joannie Stangeland said...

Thanks! And I've added a link to your site. So welcome to you!