Monday, June 8, 2009

Noodling

Spell check keeps flagging this as a mistake. What? Is "noodle" not a verb?

Can we make it a verb?

I've been noodling around with poems, trying to make them fit, trying to make them work. I am not a good reviser, not a good re-vision-er. I'm much better at the little edits, a new word here, a little smoothing of the music there. I can even move lines or stanzas around. I'm much better at all of that than I am at pulling out a line or two and ditching the rest and starting over. So I've been noodling, when I think that maybe I need to be ditching and pitching.

When do you feel like you've noodled a poem as far as it can get? When do you give up and start over? Or when do you just give up?

2 comments:

T. said...

At some point you just have to give it up and make some nice sauce to go with those noodles....

Joannie Stangeland said...

Marinara or maybe a cream sauce with Gorgonzola and walnuts (a hint of tarragon)?

Then maybe my poems will be saucy.